Reference Resources: N-Z
News & Current Events
Other Reference Collections
Other Reference Collections
- Bartleby.com - Reference
- Bibliomania - Free Online Literature and Study Guides.
- Colorado Virtual Library
- ERIC: Education Resources Information Center - from the Institute of Education Sciences.
- Eurydice - network on education systems and policies in Europe from the Education, Audiovisual, and Culture Executive Agency.
- Infoplease.com - Encyclopedia, Almanac, Atlas, Biographies, Dictionary, Thesaurus, free online reference, research & homework help.
- The Library of Congress
- LibrarySpot.com - Encyclopedias, maps, online libraries, quotations, dictionaries and more.
- PubMed - Provides free access to MEDLINE, NLM's database of citations and abstracts in the fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, health care systems, and preclinical sciences.
- refdesk - Fast Facts
- The Virtual Chase - from Justia.com: originally created in order to disseminate articles and teaching aids to law librarians and other instructors of Internet research, the Virtual Chase has since expanded to offer articles, guides and teaching materials.
- Virtual Reference Collection - MIT Libraries
- Bartlett's Familiar Quotations - 10th Edition (1919)
- Grocott's Quotations - (alphabetical and thematic) from Bibliomania (website main page, need to click on links to Grocott's).
- The Oxford Shakespeare from Bartleby.com: find any quote from Shakespeare.
- Quotations at Bartleby.com
- The Quotations Page Quotation Search
- QuoteWorld.org - Quote database: over 15,000 quotations and famous quotes.
- Respectfully Quoted - a Dictionary of Quotations Requested from the Congressional Research Service on Bartleby.com.
- ThinkExist.com Quotations - search more than 300,000 quotations by over 20,000 authors.
- Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) - from the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics - from the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- E-STATS - E-Commerce Statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Eurostat - Your key to European statistics from Europa. Eurostat is the statistical office of the European Union situated in Luxembourg.
- National Center for Educational Statistics (NCES)
- National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) - from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD)
- U.S. Data and Statistics from USA.gov
- The Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Thesaurus - from the U.S. National Library of Medicine.
- The Astronomy Thesaurus - compiled by Robyn and Robert Shobbrook, from the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics, College of Science, Australian National University.
- The Cook's Thesaurus - a cooking encyclopedia (old website, not updated, but good information).
- ERIC (Education Resources Information Center) Thesaurus - a list of terms representing research topics in the field of education. Descriptors from the ERIC Thesaurus are assigned to every document in the ERIC digital library to describe its subject content.
- Freeality Internet Search - offers multiple ways to look up words, phrases, cliches and quotations.
- Getty Art and Architecture Thesaurus
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- GraphWords - Free Online Visual Thesaurus.
- Medical Subject Headings - from the National Library of Medicine.
- Merriam-Webster Online Thesaurus
- NASA Thesaurus - from NASA's Science and Technical Information Program.
- Roget’s International Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases - from bartleby.com.
- Spanish Thesaurus - from lenguaje.com, supplier of Spanish linguistic technology to Microsoft.
- Wordsmyth: the Educational Dictionary-Thesaurus